Monday, November 26, 2007

Dance at Bougival



Art Therapy...a Success.

I spent the day in Boston..shopping in Quincy Market, then 4 glorious hours at the Museum of Fine Art. Ending the day with a little more shopping in Brookline. Does it get any better than this.

My first trip the the MFA and let me tell you....fabulous. I have been to my fair share of museums all over the world, but it was driving me a little nutty that I had never been to the one in my own backyard. Come on..you have to admit that it is a bit ridiculous. Then again, this is me, so ridiculous is normal. It definitely lived up to expectations. The layout was great, and as is with most museums, it is the exhibits that you didn't even know were there...that draw you in the most.

I walked in, scoped out the must sees - a German B & W photo exhibit, European Impressionist works, and Arts and Crafts in the new Medium Millennium. Popped my museum mix into the IPOD and began my journey. All of the exhibits were awesome and I stumbled onto an "Arts in the Americas" exhibit that I fell in love with. The history is just extraordinary. John Singer Sargent and Gilbert Stuart galore. Two of my personal favorites!

Of course, I ended in the Impressionist Room ..Gorgeous...beautiful..wish you were here! Monet, Manet, Van Gogh, Pissaro, Degas, Cezanne, Cassatt. I had seen some works in other places...(Louvre hehehehe) but there was something about having it so close. Ahhhhhhhhhhh. But there was one piece I was aching to see. It is one of my favorites and I have never seen it up close and in person. It is Renoir's "Dance at Bougival". It was breath-taking. It was HUGE. I had no idea it was life size. All I wanted to do was sit Indian style on the floor in front of it and take in every last inch. However.....judging by the look on the security guards face I decided against. After my adventures in Italy and a few scaled walls, I thought best to just taking it all in standing up! Wise move Powell, wise move. A side note..I must say that Lorelei Gilmore did a fabulous job in portraying that panting. Much kudos on that one. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I just love museums. And all the crazy annoying people that flood the rooms don't bother me...go figure. Next week...The National gallery, London or perhaps the Victoria Albert Museum...even the Tate. London, London, London, London!!!!!!!!

No comments: