Sunday, October 28, 2007

Music is the Universal Language of Mankind

Longfellow said it, but my sister will appreciate that quote coming from me ;) SO, the other day at work someone asked.." What is your style of music? Every time I come in your office you are listening to something different. I don't get it..what is your favorite?" I just smiled and thought about it for a while. So here is my response...

Music is where I go a little nutty. I love it all, I mean really it all has its own unique awsome characteristic that relax me. Jay introduced me to some strange music that I was convinced was, for lack of a better word, crap. But, after a while I realized if you sit and listen closely...it is all really good. I won't lie, I struggled with rap, but hey, we all have our musical faults. So here is a quick snapshot of what jives with me musically. I'm recently loving Ska, weird I know. But it is so intense sometimes that it is freaky. Totally didn't see that coming. Of course, I can't ignore Jazz and Blues. Always loved them. Thanks Bannon. I have recently felt a personal revival for the soulful and passionate sounds of a good jazz rhythm. Of course there are the old stand-bys of oldies, country, and anything my sister and I can belt out in the car. That includes pop, rock, musicals, cheesy love songs...you name it. If I know the words, I'll sing it. And that pretty much means that I need to sing 24/7....I really should try and use my brain for more constructive things! And lest we forget Southern Rock Baby. Need I say more about that. This summer the Newport Folk Festival opened my eyes to so many new artists I can't even begin to name them all.I LOVE music. Oh and Thursday nights at the Black Rep are growing on me too, Afrosonic DJ Blackdove / DJ Mike Delick. I know, go figure. That’s the Nappa influence.

1 comment:

Abby Nation said...

to those of us with a true and deep understanding, music is the only pure art form...