Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Excuse Me…Can we Buy Some Wood?

We stayed at the most wonderful little campground, in between Sedona and Flagstaff, called Oak Creek. Nestled amidst the trees and the mountains, this campground was completely hidden even though it was only a few hundred feet from the road turnoff.

Getting to the campground was a little iffy as we had to descend down a sheer cliff... on a road that was only about as wide as our RV.

Yeah.. here we go with the steepness again.

I was white knuckled for most of the way…(exacerbated by Jay saying to Dan…”Um…you cut it a little close to the edge there dude!) Clearly, a reason to freak. Not to mention that the RV was not handling quite as well as they would have hoped.........

Anyway, we make it to the site and it is now a bit late. After some serious strategic maneuvering by Dan and Jay to get the camper into the spot, (due to the world's largest garbage can and some very poorly placed decorative rocks) we were ready to eat and chill out. Alas, we were a little shy on fire wood. So Dan and Jay proceed to go on an “adventure” to get some wood.

In Jay's words…

“So we came across another camper that we thought may be able to help us. Leeeet’s just say he was a VERY EXTRA-LARGE man… squeezed into a schmedium shirt (for those of you not in the biz…a medium/borderline small shirt). And he was just standing there holding what appeared to be a very large log. He was just standing there….. with the end of the thing….. just sticking in his fire, so we thought perhaps he could help us out. 'So, like, do you have any fire wood that we can buy off of you? ' His reply…’weeeeellll, you want this ere stump?’ Dan and I just looked at each other, sighed, and walked back to the RV. So, umm…we don’t have any fire wood.” Hmphff

Apparently he was a very very very strange man.

The next morning was G-L-O-R-I-O-U-S! We woke up to find that our site was along a beautiful creek (Hence the name...duh!). I didn’t even get out of my pajamas. I know I am a slug. I took my coffee with me and the four of us spent some serious time just relaxing by the water, jumping around the rocks like we used to at the beach house. Pure relaxation.





Which, I suppose it is a good thing considering what we were about to encounter that day …..

1 comment:

DJMoonbeem said...

what a cliffhanger! Post more, post more!