Saturday, July 25, 2009

Olympia Sports ..Part 1

Does Good Customer Service Still Exist in an Economy when every customer should be worshiped?  I was certainly asking myself this question last Saturday when I walked into Olympia Sports in Fairhaven.  I was in desperate need of googles that I could use in my open water swim.  There are stores all over the place now that have googles.  But I thought, "Hey, instead of going to a big box store, I will go to Olympia sports because perhaps the folks there may have a better idea of what googles may be good".  

Before entering the store we see a rack with Huge writing that said Ladies Reebok 50% Off.  They had awesome wicking shorts so I grab two pairs.  50% off would make them 10 bucks.  Fantastic!

I go in, in search of the googles next.  Oooooh.  Not so much on the help and knowledge factor.  Getting the help of the sales person was a challange.  He could care less that I was there or that I wanted to spend any money.  But the best part...the really great service was at check out.  

So I find my own googles, take my shorts, and go to the counter.  He rings everything up and it comes to $55.  Excuse me me?  How is that possible?  The following occurred.

Me: "Those shorts were 50% off"

Guy:  " Ummm No.  Only the tanks are on sale"

Me:  "But they are on the rack with the 50% off and the signs says Ladies Reebok"

Guy: " Umm actually, if you read, the sign says tanks and tees"

Me:  "Really,  let me go check:" ( The tank part was so small, that it was almost unreadable)

Me: "  Well, I guess that is the case, but it is pretty deceptive how that is set up, perhaps you may want to move the shorts."

Guy:  "  Well if you could read, there would be no issue, do you want the shorts?"

Me: "  Did you just tell me I don't know how to read? Silence.
" Yes I would like them, but is there a reason why the shorts are on that rack?"

Guy: " They match the tanks, hello!" (They did not match)

Me: "?????"  "  Hard to see why that is relevant"

Guy:  "Again, if you could read....  Well customers just see what they want to see anyway"

Me: " Mom, please restrain me from jumping this counter."

Guy: "  License please, your card says request ID"

Guy:  When looking at my license ... "  110 lbs.  Yeah right"

Hold me back hold me back! 

Me:  "Perhaps you might want to work on your customer service or get a new job"

Guy: " Hufff...why?, we still got your business.."

ooooooooooooh, wrong thing to say to this little lady. 

All of the customers in line behind me walked out with me.  My dad went in about 20 minutes later to get something and I opened the door and said "  DO NOT buy anything from this store or that absolutely rude and awful salesperson.  Again, 5 more people let the store.

2 comments:

DJMoonbeem said...

wow. I would have jumped the counter and you can be sure I'd be penning a letter to the president of Olympia as we speak.....

Unknown said...

Oh hes probably very happy about it cuz less customers means less work for him lol