I can't even believe I am posting this, but I have to...to get it out there and then I don't have to think about it anymore.
So, for those who have been in my house you know I have a bathroom in my basement. for those who have not been in my house, now you know I have a bathroom in my basement. I rarely use it because it is one of the few places in my house I did not "yet" remodel. It felt funky to me, and yucky. There has always been something about it that didn't sit right with me, but then again, I am a little crazy. (Phil...don't even say it.)
Anyway, I finally decided that it was time to build a laundry room in the basement now that the oil tank and beastly boiler are gone. Dad and I set out on this new building adventure and decided that now might be the best time to redo the bathroom so that it is home-owener friendly. Fresh coat of paint, new floor, blah blah blah. A quick fix to make it finally a place I would want to bath in. Ahhhhhhh, quick fix, not so much.
So, we start to take the floor moulding up and I notice that the drywall just crumbles. First issue, they did not use Green board in a basement bathroom. Not Good. Dad gets that look in his eye and realizes that there will be a moisture issue. We just had no idea how much of a moisture issue there would be. As we start to pull the floor up I immediately gag because I know that the concrete floor was never black. Oh yes, you guessed it...the entire floor was a layer of MOLD! I almost died. The world's biggest neat freak has mold. Aggggggggggggggggg. Kill me now. Evidently, the previous homeowners did not seal the concrete floor or waterproof it before laying the vinyl tile. Therein lies the problem.
After 6 hours of solving the wall issue and "bathing" my bathroom in bleach, I can say that the mold abatement was successful. Now I don't feel so crazy...I KNEW there was something not right about that bathroom. However, I now have a big empty room where my bathroom once stood. Looks like Dad and I will be laying some floor this week and putting back vanity, toilet, and the such. Fabulous. As Always.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment