I have these GIANT scallions in my garden. They are really giant. I got them from Jay's uncle Frank about 2 years ago and they are out of this world. They are so strong that they grow through the winter. Seriously, you can go out to the garden and... peaking out through 4 or 5 inches of snow.... will be these little green spikes. I can't believe how massive these things can be. Well, we aren't even fully underway interms of gardening yet, I haven't even turned over the soil for the rest of the garden, and these scallions are easily almost 1 1/2 feet tall already. And thick. Really Thick.
I sometimes go out to just stare at them because I am amazed at how fast they grow and how random it is that I have these things growing in my back yard. We have tried to eat them before, but they can sometimes be a bit tough. We have wrapped chicken in them (like a tamale), which should give you an idea of how big they are. Last night we discovered the secret behind the giant scallion, tried it out, and it was FANTASTIC!
I made what I now call, the Green Monster Sauce. Soo delicious.
I chopped up the scallions and sauteed them in Earth Balance Butter. This helped a gret deal with softening them up and making them a little less bitter. Then I mixed them in the food processor with:
2 inch chunk of fresh ginger root
3 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons of soy sauce
3 cloves of garlic
splash of grapeseed oil
seseme seeds
3 tablespoons of honey
Once it was chopped I streamed in some canola oil. It was thick...but it was AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME.
We put it on salmon and then crusted them with seseme seeds. Then used the same dressing (thinned out a bit) over a huge salad. Holy Deliciouness batman. A simple side dish of fresh carrots cut on an angle, a small onion sliced, cooked together in Earth Balance Butter, clear corn syrup, nutmeg, and cayenne pepper. The best candied carrots you will have!
I am hungry again just thinking about it. I should have taken a picture before we ate. There was, as I am sure you would imagine, nothing left. AT ALL!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment