Friday, April 9, 2010

The Curse of Windows 7

You would think that Microsoft would have learned something from the mess that was Vista. You would also think that they would have learned something from MAC and all the trouble they used to have when they were compatible with NOTHING> seriously.

So I spend money on a new computer...after 8 years I finally needed a new one. I also spend money on a new printer for the BIZ. We are talking Xerox here...not a little Epson or HP. I get everything...soup to nuts and wouldn't you know...nothing freakin ' works. Why? Because Windows 7 is not compatible with most software that is more than 1 or 2 years old. There have even been issues with the print drivers for my older printers. WTF. How annoying. Does Microsoft really think that people will just rush out and spend a few hundred more dollars on new software...that in some cases cost more than the darn computer? Not I said the fly. And Xerox...their printer is compatible with Windows 7, but the software to use the printer is not. How ridiculous is that?

I have absolutely no problem with taking all of this stuff back if they can't figure out a way to make it all work. Sorry Microsoft...but you should have just left it at XP and moved onto something else. You seem to have lost your touch in the Operating Systems business. Geez!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you are blaming the wrong people here. It's not Microsoft that dropped the ball here but printer manufacturers. The problem is that you are using a 64bit Windows 7 and XP was a 32bit operating system which even though doesn't seem like it's much different to you it is completely different "under the hood". And they had to move to 64bit because in 32 bits you can only use up to 3GB of RAM and you have 6GB already which makes your computer even faster. And printer manufacturers had many years already to change their drivers and software to work with 64bit (most Vista computers were already 64 bit and there was a 64 bit version of XP) but they are dragging their feet and dropping support for some printers that are not even 2 years old just because it requires a little bit of software development.
So in this case Microsoft gave everyone plenty of time to make everything work but the vendors still didn't do anything. And even windows 7 it self was available to software developers for the past 2 years so no one really has an excuse other than saving few dollars to make things ready for it.
People don't like the change but when it comes to technology I learned change is always good and it's the companies that don't want to change are the ones costing us money.

Phil said...

Actually, Microsoft also built in a compatibility program.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows