Monday, January 4, 2010

My Love Tank is Empty

Well, actually it was my gas tank, and that was a REALLY terrible reference to the Real Housewives of Orange County. See what happens when you have eye surgery and there is nothing on TV but Crud all day!

So, yeah, this whole gas tank thing would only happen to me! Only me!

I fill my tank up with $40 before heading out for New Years. This gave me just over 3/4 of a tank. Logical, since I have a 20 gallon tank, it was $2.58 a gallon....blah blah blah.

Off for New Years, no issues, no problems, life is grand. Ahhh, but then for the ride home. I was in the lovely state of CT (can you detect a hint of sarcasm???) and there is the need for more gas. In fact, my car is yelling at me, telling me I only have 40 miles to empty. I'm a little under a 1/4 of a tank. I pull off at a rest stop, grab some McDonald's and go to get gas. I pull up to the full service, but there is no attendant. The booth women says, "No problem, just pump it yourself." Cost of Gas 2.99 gallon, I gave her $30 in cash.

Pump pump pump...there is something funny, it isn't quite working. but it registers that 10 gallons go in, and $30 is paid. Now....quick math here for all of you....20 gallon tank. Approximately 4 gallons in tank. I add 10 gallons. 14 gallons of gas should be in the car registering at just under 3/4 of a tank or roughly 300 miles to empty. I get in my car and begin to drive away. Hmmm....1/4 of a tank full and 64 miles to empty. Does anyone else see a problem here. Ahhh...but this is Connecticut so you can't just reverse. Go two exits up, three exits back, turn around...go back to the gas station.

Then the fun starts. To make a long story short, no gas went into my car, but the attendants (rude and insufferable people) pretty much told me tough patoooty. Oh, there is no manager, or ohhh there is no way to tell....(umm look at the gas gauge...helloo). They all but flipped me the bird. Ahhh, but there just happened to be three very lovely state police people in the parking lot of the rest area. So I casually walked over to them, explained the situation, and the next thing you know, there was a manager on site, receipts and gauges were being checked, at one point there was an officer under my car confirming that the tank was in fact empty. (Cause you know...I look like a gas larceny person..huh.) At the very least, the police scared the crap out of the attendants and I felt moderately vindicated.

When all was said and done, I had a report number, and a reference and I had to contact corporate for them to process a refund check...blah blah blah.... but even after all that....I had to drive off with ....you guessed it....no gas.

The next fill-up...$30 in......3/4 of tank....go figure~

1 comment:

Phil said...

First of all, either you need to get your gas tank checked or your driving style adjusted. Even a beast like yours should go a heck of a lot farther.

Second, this could only happen to you.