Yup, that title is correct. Last weekend I ran my first 5k up in Boston with my friend Leanne. She convinced me that is was necessary part of training for the triathlon so I reluctantly committed and said I would do it.
I am lucky to be alive, but I finished it, successfully, and ran the whole way. Go me! May seem like an easy feat for most, but 3.1 miles on one lung has proven to be the biggest challange of this Traithlon experience.
Anywhooooooooooooooooooo, as if I was not already nervous that I would not be able to finish the race, let alone run the whole way....race day comes and we are informed that perhaps Leanne was mistaken in her portrayal of the race as a "beginner route." Yeah, so, like, it was NOT beginner. In fact, when we were talking with a group of runners (know as the Thirsty Turtles) they laughed when they heard me say that it was my first race....not their idea of an easy start.
No Joke, this was a very hilly course, on asphalt, at noon, in 82 degree heat. I kid you not. SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPER Hot out and I told Leanne it may take me an hour to finish (no seriously...I am really slow and average 15 minute miles.) Their are 80 year old men who pass me power walking when I am running on the track. Like I said, running is NOT my best skill.
When all was said and done, I guess the adrenaline of 2200 runners helped me out a bit. Who the heck wants to be passed by a guy with two kids ina stoller and a man with a cane. Not I said the fly. Needless to say, I crossed the finish line at 39:32. But here is the actual breakdown.....With so many people running, it took me 3 minutes to actually cross the starting line (slow folks get bumped to the back of the pack to start). The clock runs from the time of the gun, so they subtract your cross time with your time to the start line. Sooo for all of you math slugs like me...that would be 36:32 for my actual time. Respectable for my first, but I have a long way to go until August :)
The best part....it was the Corrib Classic Pub Crawl 5K Road Race. So you cross the finish line and get....FREE BEER. ALLL DAY. FANTASTIC! We had burgers, hotdogs, oh and did I mention. FREE BEER. I might just fall in love with running afterall.
I am lucky to be alive, but I finished it, successfully, and ran the whole way. Go me! May seem like an easy feat for most, but 3.1 miles on one lung has proven to be the biggest challange of this Traithlon experience.
Anywhooooooooooooooooooo, as if I was not already nervous that I would not be able to finish the race, let alone run the whole way....race day comes and we are informed that perhaps Leanne was mistaken in her portrayal of the race as a "beginner route." Yeah, so, like, it was NOT beginner. In fact, when we were talking with a group of runners (know as the Thirsty Turtles) they laughed when they heard me say that it was my first race....not their idea of an easy start.
No Joke, this was a very hilly course, on asphalt, at noon, in 82 degree heat. I kid you not. SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPER Hot out and I told Leanne it may take me an hour to finish (no seriously...I am really slow and average 15 minute miles.) Their are 80 year old men who pass me power walking when I am running on the track. Like I said, running is NOT my best skill.
When all was said and done, I guess the adrenaline of 2200 runners helped me out a bit. Who the heck wants to be passed by a guy with two kids ina stoller and a man with a cane. Not I said the fly. Needless to say, I crossed the finish line at 39:32. But here is the actual breakdown.....With so many people running, it took me 3 minutes to actually cross the starting line (slow folks get bumped to the back of the pack to start). The clock runs from the time of the gun, so they subtract your cross time with your time to the start line. Sooo for all of you math slugs like me...that would be 36:32 for my actual time. Respectable for my first, but I have a long way to go until August :)
The best part....it was the Corrib Classic Pub Crawl 5K Road Race. So you cross the finish line and get....FREE BEER. ALLL DAY. FANTASTIC! We had burgers, hotdogs, oh and did I mention. FREE BEER. I might just fall in love with running afterall.
Doug (our Thirsty Turtle), Leanne and I
No comments:
Post a Comment