Thursday, May 14, 2009

A funny thing is happening...

I am remembering how much I really enjoyed exercise.
For years now, many, many years (ever since the dreadful lung collapse) I have been terrified of exercise and quite frankly, convinced that I would never be as fit as I used to be when I was in my teens and twenties. I used to be a super health nut....Vegetarian, athlete, extreme exerciser blah blah blah. Maxing out at about 90 lbs. But I was lean, and fit, and healthy (ok..maybe 90lbs is not healthy, but in my twenties I was a good weight.) So I will make no claims to ever be that thin again. My body has it's limitations Geez! But I honestly believe now that I may eventually be that FIT again. I don't know why I was so afraid to exercise. Deep down I am sure that it was because I thought I would somehow bust my good lung and.... well...where would that leave me....NG

Essentially, it boils down to the fact that I was a slug. Excuses excuses excuses. Had I just decided to start exercising, I would have realized that my lung was not going to explode and that perhaps I may just enjoy myself again. OOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhh How true. I actually enjoy getting up and going to the pool before work. (Although running before work...not a good idea. Tuckers me out) I totally look forward to my bike rides after work and find myself trying to figure out how I can bike to work without getting run over on the highway. Look at me, I am so extreme. Ha! Who am I kidding.

Signing up for the triathlon was the best thing I could have done to get me back in the swing of things. That said...Leanne and I are seriously questioning what the HECK we got ourselves into. The fact that it is getting me healthy is great, but I think we may be over our heads here. Ha Ha haha...get it...over our heads...water...triathlon. Ok maybe not. Now she has me signing up to do a 5k on June 7th. She thinks it will be good practice for us for the race. All this his coming from a girl who can run a 5k in 26 minutes. I am doomed. Who uses a 5 k as practice when up until 2 months ago they didn't know that legs were meant to run. Oh Dear.

Wait Wait. Must be positive. Like to exercise. Must run. Be fit. Okay, I think I have convinced myself sufficiently that this will be a good thing. Let's just hope I don't fall off the wagon next week in DC without the crutch of my pool and my gym.


No comments: