Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Where is the Value in a Value Menu?

Okay people, let's get down to the brass tacks here....these supposed Value Items that exist on so many chain restaurant menus, is there really any value in them at all? Let's discuss.

According to Merriam-Webster, the definition of value is: 1val·ue - noun -a fair return or equivalent in goods, services, or money for something exchanged; relative worth, utility, or importance

So, knowing what we now know about the definition of value...can someone please explain to me the "value" in the items that are served at these restaurants. When last I checked, the whole purpose of these menu items was to actually be getting more food for what you are paying for i.e. a good value. So instead of having to pay $1.89 for a small fries, you could pay $1.00 and get the same thing. Wow...a great value, that would make me want to eat at your establishment more.

Case Study #1: Wendy's (the creator of the value menu) : Aga and I go to Wendy's after a Christmas party last week. We are starving and need to eat ASAP and don't feel like spending a fortune. So we head to Wendy's to get a few items off the value menu to satisfy the hunger...on a budget. Ummm, not so much apparently. I order a Bacon Jr. Cheesburger, value fries, and a value soda. Issue 1 - the 16oz value soda is no longer 16oz, but 12oz ...interesting. The value fries are now no longer a small, they are 4 french fries in a paper sack, and the cheesburger is no longer a burger, but a slider. Very intersting. So, for my $4.00 I received half of the food I ordered. What a Value Aye! Note: Had I ordered the BJC meal, for $5.89 (yikes) I would have received a 20oz soda, Medium fries and regular size burger. Now...I am not saying that I should eat all that oversized food (thats another post for another time) but if you are going to call those piddly little servings a value..then they need to be closer to 50 cents a piece people. Now that would be a value.

Case Study 2: Curious about the recent events at Wendy's I go through the drive through at McDonalds and order a Value Fries. The "dollar menu" now reads " McValue Fries $1.50. Interesting. I guess it is still considered a dollar items as long as it stays under $1.99

Case Study 3: Even more curious, I drive down the street and go to Burger King. I order a Small Soda (otherwise know as the value soft drink as the sign reads). When the price comes on the screen I notice it says $1.89. So I inquire..."the menue says a $1.00 for the small?" She replies.." oh we switched that, the value drink is now the happy meal size"

Are you Kidding me!

I think they should change all of the signes from Value menu to read...

"Cheap marketing ploy that is really just a rip off and we want to see how many people will still buy this stuff and not even notice that we are giving them table scraps instead of actual food portions."

It has a nice ring to it dontcha think!

No comments: